CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interlude: Tuesday Thoughts

One of my favorite TV shows to watch is “Jon and Kate Plus 8”. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a show which chronicles the life of a couple (Jon and Kate) with twins and sextuplets. Last night, Jon and Kate made a big (but expected) announcement. They are getting divorced.
Due to all of the rumors in the media, this was not a shock. But I find it ironic that Jon and Kate started doing the show because it was “what was best for the kids.” Granted, it made them a LOT of money and skyrocketed them to fame. But ultimately, and I can only speculate, (they don’t ever really officially say what specifically lead to the divorce) that the fame and money are what dissolved their marriage. Clearly, the show was not really what was best for the kids in the end.
I think I am mostly upset about this because I just read Kate’s book “Multiple Blessings,” which was written a couple years ago when she and Jon were still completely in love. I miss that. I really love their story. It was hard to read the book, knowing what the ultimate outcome would be.
As a recurring topic of the book, Kate speaks openly about their financial challenges; how she had to quit her nursing job to go on bed rest at seven weeks, and how Jon got “let go” when his company caught wind of the high risk pregnancy for insurance reasons. But at least they were happy, in love, and together. Last night, a teary eyed Kate said on national television, “I don’t want to do this alone.” It absolutely broke my heart! Was all that money really worth jeopardizing the marriage and being forced to raise the 8 kids separately?
This is just something I thought I would write about since it’s been on my mind a lot lately. I’m also bummed because the divorce will also probably signal the end of a show that I love and feel connected to. BUT, if you are looking for a good read, definitely pick up Kate’s book.
I’ve got one more “Monday Series” post to put up but I’ll probably delay that until tomorrow to space things out a bit…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really sad too when I first heard about their messy marriage situation.. I really think that the media is making Kate out to be the victim and I dont really think that she is (I think Jon is just as much of a victim as Kate). Since I am a trashy media reader it's always interesting to read what Jon thinks about being in the public eye vs. what Kate feels about being in the public eye. Kate once said the show must go on, we owe it to our viewers.. Seriously?!?! If your family is having problems shouldnt that be your number one priority?? Just my little rant. I loved their show/books/etc., but I do not like what is happening to them and I feel so bad for their sweet little kiddos!! --Manda

Laura said...

Manda, I couldn't help feeling for Kate on Monday. Usually I am annoyed at her for how she treats Jon, but did you see how he was acting during that episode? She was teary eyed and sitting next to a Kleenex box and trying to be calm. He just slouched on the couch and it was like he just wanted everything to be done. She mentioned that he won't even talk to her about it. I don't know, I'm sure they are both at fault here to some degree. Jon just looks like he's done with the whole thing.
One thing is for sure, the show is so hard to watch with them never being together. I heard that Jon's girlfriend is going to be on the show when they start taping again in August. Apparently, Jon and Kate haven't lived in the same house for over 2 years! I miss is when it was Jon and Kate in love. Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

I missed Monday's episode.. I don't have CABLE!! Oh, how I miss cable!! Thanks for keeping me up to date!! --- Manda