CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Nocturnal Economics

There is a topic I have been meaning to bring up for a while: the economy! I'm sure it is on many people's minds as thousands upon thousands of people are laid off from their jobs every day. I feel as if I have been in a bubble from this crisis, and luckily so! My company was not effected by the credit crisis; they have a solid line of credit at a solid bank. I don't know many more details than that off the top of my head. However, lately certain departments at my company have been laying off people very quickly. My department (photogrammetry) has so much work right now and for the foreseeable future, it's a little overwhelming. Matt also has wonderful job security, as his skills will (unfortunately) always be needed as long as there are sick children in the world. Still, it is always in the back of my mind as to how bad things will really get. How far will this recession/depression go? What would we do if we lost our jobs? What sacrifices would we have to make?
There is a part of me that is always preparing for the worst. This is part of the reason I am studying to get my Master's. To prepare to give myself a competitive edge just in case. Another example is our pantry. I tend to pick up an extra can of soup or jar of peanut butter (etc.) long before it is needed. I think this is mostly in case we happen to get snowed in or something. (Honestly, I think it's snowed more in the midwest than out here this winter!) It's not like I have an underground chamber filled with 10 years worth of supplies. But at the same time, it's nice to have a small supply of things just in case.
_________________________________________________
So where does the "nocturnal" part of the title fall in to place? Actually, it's completely unrelated to economics. Last night Pongo decided to turn into "Nocturnal Dog." I was up until at least midnight finishing up school stuff. Pongo had been resting on the couch with me, but when we went up to bed, he would not lay down! He kept scratching at the bedroom door and when Matt let him out, he had so much energy! (He usually just wants to find a rawhide to chew on.) It was like he was a puppy again. And of course, all of his wondering about the bedroom caused Perdi to scratch and bark in her kennel constantly.
Needless to day, we did not get much sleep last night! I am feeling it tonight, but still managed to get everything turned in on time. I even got through two lectures tonight, but this is mostly thanks to Matt. He took the dogs to the dog park today, so they were good and sleepy, especially after a trip to Petsmart with me earlier this evening. We are both really needing Perdi to start sleeping in...

0 comments: