CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Honoring a Hero

Disclaimer: I try not to make this blog too political because I know many people read it and not everyone shares my views. Plus I just hate getting into political debates in general. But what I have to share just really upset me. I heard it on a news blurb on the radio yesterday.

On January 15, 2009, a US Airways jet landed in the Hudson River after a run-in with a flock of birds caused massive engine trouble. The pilot, Captain Chesley Sullenberger III immediately knew he could not turn the plane around or make it to a nearby airport. He was barely out of New York, NY and knew that the city could not handle another 911 type tragedy, which could occur unless he thought of a good alternative. So he calmly rationalized that the Hudson River was the best possible place to land the plane. Miraculously, no one was injured thanks to the Sulleberger's quick thinking, a proactive staff aboard the plane and a quick response from rescue teams.

I consider this man a hero. He stayed calm and really thought his possibilites through. He kept the passengers calm and informed. He saved the lives of everybody on board.

Chesley Sullenberg has recently been spotted in Congress. Recently, his salary has been cut by 40% and his pension has been taken away and he is testifying to Congress because he and other experienced pilots will have no other alternatives but to quit and take other jobs, leaving US Airways to fill the position with less experienced pilots. This man is essentially STILL battling for the safety of his passengers.

Sullenberg was honored and thanked for saving hundreds of lives with a dramatic pay decrease and loss of pension, barely a month after the incident. And yet his main concern is still focused around airline passengers everywhere, as evidenced by his presence in Congress. What a classy guy!

Here is my issue with these pay cuts, besides the above stated. The CEO's of the big six airlines earn an estimated 39 million dollar annual salary EACH. The past two quarters, these airlines have also been posting profits, rather than negative earnings. I see no reason for them to drastically cut the salaries of devoted pilots, other than the possibility that they are scared because of the economy. However, I also recognize that I am NOT an insider on the airline industry.

I will end the post here because I have avoided involving too much political-ness as of yet. The things that are happening with the airline industry just smell fishy to me. Again, it makes me feel so lucky to work for a company where I feel that hard workers such as myself are truly valued and would never be walked upon as these devoted airline pilots and staff have been. Do you agree?

0 comments: