CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Birthday Blog

This week is a big week for birthdays in the family, so I am going to dedicate this post to birthdays! As usual, we are late getting both cards and birthday blogs up and out in time! Here goes…
First up, Matt’s dad’s birthday was yesterday. Happy Birthday, Bill! Anyone that knows Bill, also knows how much of a “car fanatic” he is. I remember one of the first times I met Bill. I think it was during one of my visits to KC with Matt during our freshman or sophomore year and he and Matt had put me up for the night. In the morning by the time I got up, Bill had already washed my car’s windows and aired up the tires for me (and probably more)! I was so impressed that he had taken the time to do all of that, even though we barely knew each other. I certainly felt a lot safer driving back to Lawrence that day.
I also remember being present at his birthday last year, which happened to fall on Easter. Barbara had a special "Cars" birthday party all planned out and it was a lot of fun. I went to work the next day with a fake "Cars" tatoo on my arm. :) I wish that I was as passionate and knowledgable about something the way Bill is about cars. I really admire that, and also appreciate always feeling so welcome in his home.
Next up, but certainly not less important: today is my little brother Brennan's birthday! I can't believe he is 16! I don't want to embarass him too much with memories on here, but what are big sisters for if not for that? :)
SO, 16 years ago on this day my little brother was born. My first impression of him was that he was "so cute!" And he was...just about the cutest little boy you can imagine! My mom and I used to really get Brennan upset when we tried to convince him that his name was really "Frennan." He did not like that one bit!
Brennan always had different aspirations from other kids. (Well, after his really intense train obsession when all he wanted to be was a conductor.) From conductor, he eventually moved on to wanting to be Secretary of Transportation for the state of Kansas. Why? Because his poor big sister had to ride the KC Roadrunner shuttle one time home from Lawrence when she was between cars, and this must have really effected him; he wanted to become the Secretary of Transportation so that he could build a commuter train between Lawrence and Manhattan in case that ever happenened again! I just think that is such a great story.
Anyhow, we are all still waiting to see what Brennan actually becomes, but whatever it is, he will be great at it. My prediction is that he will be a lifelong Manhattan citizen and politician. He is so involved in the city's politics...he goes to city commission meetings for fun and socializes at local campaign parties. (One time, this got him kicked out of a bar in Aggieville...hehe.) AND, he gets into lots and lots of political debates on Facebook, which is always fun to check in on. Yes Brennan, big sister is STILL watching you. :)
Well I think that is about enough about Brennan. I have to save some for future posts!
Other birthdays of note: (spring is a big birthday time on my side of the family)
-My cousin Jenny's birthday is tomorrow. Happy Birthday in advance, Jenny! And I hope Luke does something really special for you!
-My aunt Alice's birthday was March 4, quite a while back. But I have to mention her because she is my Godmother and has always been a wonderful role model in my life. Alice is one of the most creative and artistic people I know. She designed and MADE the beautiful invitations and programs for our wedding, and it was no small undertaking! I still don't think she knows how much I appreciate that. I sure miss being around to watch Audrey and Jack. We had some fun nights in Louisburg!
And I know I am forgetting half a dozen or more people who have or have had birthdays recently. I am nowhere near being organized enough to have a calendar with all these important days written out and it is not my intention to forget or offend anyone. This is a risk I take with these birthday posts, I suppose. Someday I will get myself in gear and get all these birthdays in one place!
Off to bed...goodnight all!

0 comments: