CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Our Weekend With Jake

We had a wonderful weekend with our good friend Jake, who moved back to Kansas City from Alabama just time time for our move out here. But he is so awesome that he flew out here last weekend for some Colorado fun. Friday evening, we went to the Breckenridge Brewery Bar near Coors Field. (I have already been there once with Nick and Carlene, but I thought the guys needed to go too.)


Here are Matt and Jake in front of the restaurant.

We had originally planned on taking Jake for a camping trip since we are experts on camping now. :) Saturday, we awoke to the sound of rain, overcast skies and amazingly cold temperatures for August. This is the ONLY time I have seen overcast skies out here! It stopped raining by 11 am, so we decided to pack everything and at least drive to the campground and see how things went. We wanted Jake to see the mountains since the clouds completely covered them for the first part of his visit. Now, everyone who reads this blog and lives out here in Colorado will probably think this is no big deal, but little did I know that it had actually snowed in the mountains at 10,000 ft. When I caught a glimpse of that, I was breathless. It was amazing to see completely white mountains. I don't think I've ever seen them like that.


We made it to our campgrounds in Roosevelt National Forest without any more rain. The grounds were completely deserted, and we could have had our pick of the campsites, but we set up in the one we reserved.
The rain decided to hold off until the guys had left to buy some firewood. I stayed behind with the dog to keep setting things up. There were clouds all around and they covered the tops of the nearest mountains. It started raining and continued for about 30 minutes. I took advantage of this and spent time in the tent napping. It was one of the best naps I've had...up in the mountains in the cool air and rain.

When Matt and Jake got back, we started cooking. I managed to forget the pipe that connects our camping stove to the propane tank, so we lit some charcoal and cooked fajitas and rice. They turned out pretty well, despite a slight charcoal taste. While the food was cooking, Matt and Jake attempted to start the fire, but the wood was slightly damp, so it took a while. It sure felt good when it got going! It started raining again around 9:15 so we called it an early night. Sunday, we hiked a little bit and then packed up because everything was wet. We got home via the scenic route, had some lunch and showered. Matt showed off his video games for a while and then it was time to get dinner and take Jake to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye, but in reality we could have had an extra 5 hours with Jake. That's right! His plane was scheduled to leave at 8:30 pm and was five hours delayed. Jake said he didn't even get home until 5 am! And he went to work today too! What a guy. For those of you who are planning to fly out here, United might not be the way to go. I know if you book early enough through Frontier, they have pretty good rates and nice planes.


So that is our weekend in a big nutshell. Blogger managed to load two of my photos, then refused to do any more, so I'll save those for another day. I worked 11 hours today and don't have the patience to work with it right now.


On a sad note: We found out that Bill and Barbara's dog, Snickers, had to be put to sleep on Saturday. She will be dearly missed. I can't even bear to think of losing my buddy Pongo, so I know they are going through a hard time and we think of them often. Snickers must be helping me with this post since Blogger allowed me this one last photo.


I bet she feels a lot more now like she did in her younger years! Isn't she cute? Thanks for the photo, Barbara!

0 comments: