CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Boilermaker?

Today I had a discussion with my boss about options for a Master's degree. I think I have found the perfect program for me at Purdue University. It is called a M.S. in Geomatics, which basically encompasses and builds on everything I do at work. The best parts are that I don't have to quit my job to do it because it's online and I won't have to write a thesis! Also, my company will be paying for most of it if I do well. I'm really glad I waited to do this, because I know I wouldn't have chosen this route if I had done my Masters right after undergrad, and this will really enhance my career (if I get accepted and complete it successfully.)
Matt starts working nights full time next week. If I start my Masters in the spring semester, it will really help keep me busy during those lonely evenings and it's something I want to do for myself and my career anyway, so it makes sense to start now that Matt and I are both settled into our jobs for the long haul.
I think I am really starting to feel at home in Denver. I love it so much out here! I love my job, my house and how active I have become. I love our weekend camping trips in the mountains and the fact that I've finally seen a tornado! Mostly, I love how many people have come or are coming out to see us! But I also can't wait until our trips back to Kansas and Kansas City in September. Have I mentioned that yet? It's going to be great to see all of our Kansas family and friends again!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do actually have a GREAT story to tell. On Tuesday, I was introduced to the CEO of my company. The first thing he asked me was how my beagle was doing! I wondered how he knew about my dog, and apparently it's because he has seen my blog! I guess when I type anything with the phrase "Woolpert" in it, Google marks it with the marketing department in Dayton and they periodically check these flags out. (Blogger is a product of Google). Thus, they found my blog and Mr. Flannery saw my post about how excited I was for his visit. He is also a dog lover and inquired about Pongo! Yet another reason why I love my job. The CEO reads my blog! (And I read his as well.) We enjoyed having him in the Denver office for a few days. I suppose he is reading this now since I typed Woolpert again above. Hi, Mr. Flannery!
Tonight, Matt and I paid a visit to our friend Todd's bike shop in Littleton. Unfortunately, he has to close it and we wanted to see the place before that happened. We both got some new running shoes and I got a swimsuit and goggles so that I can start swimming at the rec. We got 40% off too! Thanks, Todd! I can't wait to break in my new equipment. It makes working out more fun to have new good "stuff."
Well, I have to admit that I've been so involved at work that I almost forgot that we have a 3 day weekend coming up! I did not forget that Alissa is coming though! I am going to pick her up at the airport right after I go and close my bank account tomorrow. Thanks to my cousin Anna in Nashville, I don't feel quite so bad about doing this. Apparently, I'm not the only person who has had difficulty changing information with them.
We have got some fun activities planned for the weekend including a brewery tour and of course a camping trip. I can't wait to spend the weekend with my sister (in-law, but I like to think of her as just plain "sister!").
Sorry this post is so jumpy and random. I am a bit distracted watching the DNC at the moment. I can't believe tomorrow's Friday already!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, it's always good to remember that anyone can read your blog. I wrote something semi-bad on mine at one point about our building consultant and he found it and read it. That was a very bad day! I also flooded Andrew's grandma's house that day, but that's another story for another time. I'm glad you're getting used to Colorado. It seems like a wonderful place to live!

Laura said...

Well I really don't have any complaints about my job and since my blog is linked on my Facebook page, I am semi-careful of what I write. I have heard that many employers use Facebook as a kind of background/personality check sometimes. You have to give them credit for figuring that out!

Brennan Walter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mom m said...

I've never heard of Geomatics, but I do think this is a great time to work on getting your masters degree. The story about meeting your CEO is a good one! Pongo is such a charmer, even just on a blog! Hope you have a great weekend!

Brennan Walter said...

Hey, I got my gmail account working again!