CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Coming Down The Pipe

I am really starting to feel the heat from my new job. It is challenging in ways I never imagined. I find myself flooded with emails about jobs that are ready for me and my supervisor keeps advising me that plenty more are "coming down the pipe." I am joining that crowd of co-workers who are both early risers and late stayers. People in the main office in Dayton are starting to figure out who I am am and what I'm doing; therefore I have been recieving phone calls and emails from them as well as my superiors here in Denver. All I can say is that I love it! I love the level of professionalism that I am required to have and the responsibility that I am taking on already at work. I think I'm starting to grow up! :) And I'm ready to prove to people that I am good at what I do and can take on whatever they need me to. Having said that, I have no idea how they are going to get me switched over to classified processing when the room is finished since I am really getting in deep with this airport mapping. I definitely can't handle both!
This weekend is looking perfect. Our friend Jake is flying out from Kansas City. We have some fun activities planned, our main one being camping of course. I am a bit worried, since the weather is supposed to be in the 60's and 70's but also rainy. Normally I would love this, but camping in the rain and cold (40's at night!) will be interesting. Matt decided to set up our second tent to make sure it was clean and decent for Jake to sleep in. It's a good thing too, because we discovered that it has a funky smell from being packed away soaking wet after we lent it out a while ago. We were not too upset, as this gives us a chance to invest in a new, nicer tent. I know it will be a good investment as we have camped so much already in the month we have been here.
I just have to give some shout-outs now to a few people, because I'm not sure when I'll be blogging next with our company in town. First of all, tomorrow is Matt's grandma's birthday. She turns 92 and is one of the most thoughtful and sweetest ladies we could ever be lucky enough to have in our lives! We both hope that she has a wonderful day and are sorry we can't be there to wish her a happy birthday in person.
My Grandma Helen also has a birthday in August. I'm not sure if she reads this blog, but I have always been impressed by how saavy she is with computers and the internet, so it would not surprise me! She moved to Michigan to be closer to her family after my grandpa died in 2006, but I still think of her often and enjoy getting occasional emails from her. I don't think I ever mentioned how much it meant to me how she stood beside my grandpa as he faced kidney failure, driving him over an hour one way for treatments at a hospital three times a week. My grandpa was a hard man to keep an eye on, "escaping" to mow their lawn on his riding mower merely two weeks before he passed away! Grandma Helen is THE BEST Upwords player I know of. If anyone can beat her at that game, I would like to shake their hand! I know everyone in my family misses having her in Kansas.
Tomorrow is also Pongo's best friend Corky's birthday! Corky is Ron and Arlene's Yorkie, who had the pleasure of enduring Pongo during all of his wild "puppyness". He turns 4 tomorrow and we are very excited that he will be visiting us in a couple short weeks. Pongo is looking forward to seeing his good buddy again soon and is brainstorming ways to entertain Corky, Denver style.
And last but not least, Saturday is my friend and former co-worker Tazz's birthday. Tazz keeps me sane by sending me periodical text messages during the day while I am at work, most of which make me laugh (quietly, so I don't draw attention from my boss and supervisor). These messages usually come at just the right times when I'm stressed or frustrated and I remember all of the fun times I had at Western Air Maps.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with your statement about Grandma Helen! Amen sister is all I have to add.

By the way, I love camping in the cold. It is WAY better than camping when it's hot and I have experienced both.

Doug Walter said...

Your blogs are very creative. I'm glad your work is challenging you. That's always good.

The Walter family (mine) used to camp in the Rocky Mountains. The first year, we had only a pink Army survival tent with "tunnels" we had to crawl through to get in and out of the tent. There was just enough room for our family of six to sleep side-by-side in the tent! It was quite a bonding experience.

It doesn't appear that I won the lottery to attend Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention (they were supposed to notify winners today). Perhaps they coudn't get ahold of me, but don't count on me being there the last week of August.

I love you,

Dad

Unknown said...

Thank you, Laura, and Jaime too for your kind words. You made my day!!! I love reading your blogs and seeing all the pictures. I'll send you all an e-mail again one of these days.

Love you,
Grandma H.