CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Firsts

As promised, I am going to write a post about the drivers of this area. This is a good time to do it because yesterday, I had a driving "first." On my way to work in the morning at 6:45 am, I was heading down Buckley Rd. and I noticed that the light was turning yellow so I slowed and stopped. I was pretty close to the light, but if I had not stopped, I would have run it. I have seen more red light runners here then I ever have before, but I didn't feel like breaking the law for one of my first actions of the day.
Anyway, the car in the lane BESIDE me felt differently. It continued on through the light and also layed on its horn at me for stopping. I know he was honking at me because I was the only other car around. The only other thing I could think of was that someone was having a medical emergency and needed to get to the hospital and the horn was a warning to the intersection in general. I don't think this was the case as the guy was sipping a cup of coffee as he tore down the road.
I'm just amazed at how much traffic there is here and how a signal to merge or change lanes means nothing. You literally have to know which lane you need to be in, find a hole and get in and stay in that lane. No one is going to let you in. Also, if you don't put your foot on the petal and accellerate as fast as you can out of a traffic light, people will either tail you too close or swerve around and zoom past you in annoyance. (I have had plenty of this done to me since my Civic is 4 cylinder and can't accellerate too fast.) Also, I have found myself going almost 10 mph over the posted speed limit and getting passed like I'm a snail. It's almost impossible to just simply try to stay out of people's way with so many cars.
They have these signs on I-25 to report aggressive drivers. Well, if every case was reported, the cops would be very busy tracking everyone down. Also, the state would get very rich if every aggressive driver was reported and ticketed. I am continually frustrated by this. I don't want to kill my car by simply trying to get to work every day.
I am not the only one who feels this way. Carlene and Nick and I have discussed this many times while camping and it even came up while we drank some beers at the Breckenridge Brewery before the Rockies game. (By the way, the Rockies won my first game!) It was a great time. I wish Matt could have been there. I will post pictures later this weekend.

0 comments: