CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 18, 2008

One Week Down

After a week of working, I can't complain. I also can't definitely say anymore how "adjusted" I am to living out here yet. Some days it seems better than others. When you live in one state for your entire life, moving 600 miles can't be expected to be easy. It seems like the "vacation" should be over about now and we should be going home. But this is home now. It just doesn't always feel that way yet.
I was never the kid that got really homesick at camp when I was little, but I think I'm regressing. What I need is a "Kansas fix" (yes already, after 2 weeks!). It's a good thing my dad is coming out to Denver for a conference next week because that should do just the trick. In fact, we have a lot of visitors coming in the next couple months. Matt's dad and his wife are coming out around the first of August, our friend Jake is coming sometime in August and I'm sure we'll have others. If you haven't officially planned to come out yet and want to, please let us know! We're settled in, at least enough to have people stay. The only downside is that we'll both be working, which really puts a damper on how much time we will be able to spend with our guests.
Also the last two weekends of September, we will be back in Kansas for back-to-back weddings. I am really looking forward to this. I wonder if I will see things from a different perspective now or if things will be the same as ever. I know this though: the drivers in Kansas are way more courteous than they are here, but I'll save that rant for another day.
____________________________________________________

New topic: Today was awesome! I finished my first airport and got a good "first-week-review." After work, Matt picked me up so we could go to Colorado Springs to get some notes from one of his pharmacy school buddies which should help him on the big law test tomorrow. We had a little time to kill so we went to Manitou Springs, which is a place my family used to vacation right near the bottom of Pike's Peak. Oh how I wish I had my camera with me. It was fun looking through all the little shops and we sampled some fudge in a candy store. (We later went back and bought some.) AND it rained, (it never rains here) and the clouds and moutains were beautiful! We even saw a rainbow.
We also went to the open air arcade and played skee-ball and some other older arcade games. It was a really fun afternoon topped off by my favorite: MEXICAN FOOD! I am so full right now, I think I might fall into a food coma.
We have some plans for the weekend which I will most likely post on later. But for a hint, they will most likely involve bigger rapids than the ones we navigated before!

4 comments:

mom m said...

Checking for new posts is one of my favorite things to do! I'm so proud of you doing so well on your first assignment--not surprised, though! Miss you guys! Love you!

annaO said...

laura,

i know how it feels to move away after living in kansas your whole life. moving to nashville 2 years ago was really hard for me, but i'm loving it now! it's still hard to be away from family and feeling like i'm "missing out" on things, but i'm glad we're here. it doesn't feel like it's been 2 years already!

i'm emjoying reading your blog and seeing how you're adjusting to CO.

--anna

Barbara said...

Thanks for doing this - we love keeping up on what is happening. You've also helped us improve our recycling efforts. Colorado sounds wonderful. The other day we heard that it is ranked as the least obese state - must be all that great exercise and outdoor activity.

Looking forward to coming out in a few weeks.

Love, Barbara and Dad

aunt mary anne said...

Your trip sounds like Andy's--the truck was late and the wrong size, his license was expired, the junk people were late. and the Super 8 was also dingy. Cedar closet floors are great--your feet do the sanding to keep it fresh. At Jenny's in Salt Lake they recycle everything too. I wish we could here. Your house looks fantastic--wonderful pictures. I know you will excel at your job and Matt will do well on his exam.