CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Great Outdoors

We just returned from another outdoor adventure. This one was a little more tame (as opposed to our rafting trip) as we went camping with one of my former roommates (Carlene) and her boyfriend Nick. While it was really hard to leave our friends and family in Kansas City, it is great to be able to spend time with friends here. I love going up in the mountains. We've done it twice now since we've moved here and I can't get over the smell of fresh pines and clean air. It's also fun to get away from the ringing of cell phones and the distraction of internet and video games. mention the cell phone thing because I posted an ad on Craig's List for free moving boxes and got so many calls in a few hours that I had to take the ad off. However, it was very convenient to have someone come to our house, flaten the boxes and take them away. We didn't have to do any work!

Sorry...back to camping. We took our dog Pongo along for the trip. He seems to be adjusting great to the moutains despite being a little sleepy from the altitude. (Sometimes I think this is a blessing since he can be really hyper otherwise.) He didn't whine too much when we had to tie him up at a tree while we set up camp and he's getting used to campfires. Last night he laid in my lap curled up in a blanket while we talked and played cards.

I'm starting to feel like I actually live here now. Before, it has just felt like vacation because that has usually been the reason for coming here. I have never really paid attention much around here besides the mountains. Now I am able to recognize street names and highways even though I still don't know where many things are. One of the hardest things is figuring out how to water the lawn. I know that sounds weird, but it doesn't rain as much here and our HOA requires us to keep the lawn alive and green. Most houses have automatic sprinklers but ours doesn't. So we have to position the three we have throughout the front and back yards and hope we're getting things watered enough. It's kind of a pain. Note to self:when we buy a house, get one with automatic sprinklers. I will leave you with some camping pictures.






Here is Nick starting the campfire. The guys built it early and couldn't wait to start it.


Carlene and I in the "wilderness."




Matt hanging out with Pongo in the shade. We were worried about him with his black coat and the hot sun, so we hung out with him in the shade.

1 comments:

mom m said...

Wow, pictures and everything--you've become a great blogger overnight! It's good to hear about Pongo. We miss you all! Love you--MOM