CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Thought We Were Over This

I am trying frantically to get a crisis project done at work...while doing it right at the same time...while having various co-workers peek in my cube every now and again to check on the status. I don't mind any of this, and I don't mind having put in 25 hours already this week. However, when I got home this afternoon, I laid down on the couch and slept for an hour and a half! It felt so good, but what I didn't realize was that I left the back door ajar so Pongo could do his business and then come back in on his own. When I awoke from my glorious nap, Pongo was curled up next to me but something smelled horrible!

It turns out that while he had free reign of the yard, he managed to roll in the most hideous smelling rotten something! He hasn't really done much of this since we moved out here, but it used to be a bad habbit of his in KC. I really thought he was over that stage of puppyhood. I guess not. I had to leave for a rec volleyball game and didn't get to bathe him. Now I'm still working up motivation to do this but I am not sleeping with such a stinky dog! At least he will be nice and clean for his 2nd birthday on Friday! (Assuming he doesn't have a repeat performance of tonight before then.)
Pongo and I are really bonding since Matt is gone during the evenings. He senses Matt's absence and is extra on edge, barking at the smallest creak or outside noise. Most of the time, it startles me and creeps me out a little. But I'm really glad he feels like a guardian when it's just the two of us. I'm sure he will get an extra special birthday present!

_________________________________________________________

Sunday morning I had brunch with my former supervisor from Western Air Maps. Of course it sent me on a big nostalgia trip. Golly, I miss those people. It really is hard to change once you get used to a certain way of life, a job, a group of friends or all of the above. I still find myself thinking about and missing how things used to be quite often. But then I think of how good change can be as well. One thing I have learned is that my heart will always be in two places, no matter what happens down the road: Kansas and Colorado.

I was thrilled today when Matt and Pongo brought me lunch at work. Yesterday, I caught a mild version of what has been ailing Matt the past few days. Basically, just a sore throat in the morning and off and on during the day. I was craving broccoli cheese soup from Jason's Deli and my wonderful husband didn't let me down! We had lunch on the back patio of my office building at some picnic tables by the lake/pond. It was so great to be able to have a meal together during the week! I totally took this for granted before. Matt also got to meet some of my co-workers and see my cube. (Pongo stayed in the car.)

I would love to take dinner up to Matt at the hospital some evening. It just never seems like he knows when he'll have a break or if he'll even be able to get away long enough to call me! Timing a break for a meal together seems like a shot in the dark, considering that the hospital can be quiet one moment and booming the next on any given night. What I am considering is making Pongo a volunteer dog for the hospitalized children if TCH (The Children's Hospital) would allow it. I know they have pets go in and visit the kids in the hospital to cheer them up during their stay and I think Pongo would be great at this. He is never agressive and very tolerant of just about everyone! He must learn not to roll in stinky things first before he can do this! No kids want to pet a smelly dog!

This is my former supervisor Kyle and I at Einstein Bros after brunch!

0 comments: