CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Challenges

This week has already been a challenge. I am trying to get over a nasty habit I have started, in which I find myself tossing and turning all night on Sunday night, causing me to only get a few hours of sleep to start the week! This little setback is making it hard to get things checked off my list when all I want is a nap when I get home!

Which brings me to the photos of the day...

January 17:

There are upsides to being so tired. For example: I know I am really tired when I find myself falling asleep laying in the dentist's chair as the hygenist grinds and polishes away. The upside? I am usually a tense, nervous mess during cleanings because I hate the feel of metal scraping against my teeth. Not this time though. Impressive, huh? :)


January 18:

I was delighted to finally receive my GIS Certificate from Penn State in the mail. I am so proud of this thing. It represents the successful completion of my first year of the Master's program.
However, my delight over the certificate was quickly replaced by frustration during my attempts to get the latest and greatest version of ArcGIS installed on my computer so I can start my homework for my current class. It took 1.5 hours to uninstall the old version and another hour to install version 10. Let's just say I didn't get much done in the way of homework last night. I have a lot of work ahead of me this evening.
In other school news, I have officially submitted all of my materials for official acceptance into Penn State's Master's in GIS program. I think I mentioned this before, but so far, I have just been taking classes on a non degree-seeking basis to make sure that I can be successful in Penn State's environment. (I wish I had been encouraged to do this at Purdue). Penn State also doesn't recommend that students officially apply until they have finished the GIS certificate because the competition is tough to get in and having some class work established at PSU helps them in the decision making process. I won't hear until March 1 if I am in or not, but if I don't get in this time, I will just keep taking classes and apply again in April!

1 comments:

mom m said...

Yea, Laura!! Congratulations on your certificate!