CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sick Pup

*Please bear with my tired ramblings on this post today. You will soon understand why I might not be making complete sense today…
What promised to be a rather mundane weekend of working and cleaning turned out to be quite a bit more! On Friday, I went home from work a little early, just from pure exhaustion. I promptly fell into bed and took a much needed 3 hour nap. Around 7 pm, I woke myself up in time to participate in my new tradition: 10k Friday. All was well that night as well as all day Saturday (Matt and I both headed to work). I got home around 7pm and took the dogs to the dog park before it got too dark.
That night when Matt got home, we went to a late showing of Harry Potter (which was pretty excellent for the most part). It was about 1:30 am when we got home and got settled into bed. Around 4 am, I woke up to hear Perdi getting sick. She continued to get sick and cough for the rest of the night and all day Sunday. I tried to keep her outside as much as possible, because whenever I would let her inside, she would make a mess, which seriously hindered my attempts to get the house clean, do laundry, and a few other miscellaneous tasks.
I really got worried around 8 pm, when she was coughing up blood for the 5th time. Of course, internet research freaked me out even more so I called the emergency vet, who recommended bringing her in immediately.
So that’s how I spent Sunday evening. They took some x-rays of Perdi’s belly and discovered that the problem is a rawhide that she swallowed WHOLE! She was discharged after an anti-vomiting medication and a huge injection of fluids. (She couldn’t keep water down at all.) She looked like a little camel when we left. I took pictures and will try to post them tonight. The emergency vet thought it was too soon to do anything drastic. Since it’s a rawhide, she hoped it will digest on its own in time.
Last night, Matt and I got about 2 hours of sleep. Perdi coughed and hacked all night and the only thing that seemed to calm her a bit was for her to lay near us on a towel. So we pulled out our hide-a-bed downstairs and camped out in the living room (to spare our new bed and nice clean sheets). I was almost sick with worry myself, which kept me from sleeping almost as much as the physical noise of Perdi clearing her system. Matt took her in to our regular vet this morning and she is still there being monitored. They think the cough may be due to an outbreak of Bordatella at one of the places we take them for day care. And even though she has been vaccinated against it, I do have to admit that her coughing sounds a lot like Bordatella (based on how Pongo sounded when he had it).
Perhaps the most stressful part of this whole ordeal is that we are leaving for Rhode Island on Friday morning. I am really hoping Perdi is recovered by then because I don’t know what to do with her if she is sick!
If there is even one upside to this situation, it is that Perdi has been the sweetest, cuddliest dog for the past couple days. She is normally pretty independent so it has been kind of nice to have her snuggle next to me for comfort. Oh my, it is sad how much our dogs are like children! I hope our little girl gets better soon!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Just to clarify too.... Perdi was throwing up dried blood (black in color). So it wasn't red blood, in which case we probably would have taken her in right away.

She is too cute.

Laura said...

I thought about putting that in...I thought it was a little graphic though. Anyhow, just for further clarification, Perdi was throwing up digested blood, which looks like ground up coffee in a on oil like substance. How's that? :)