Skip to main content

I Don’t Trust Myself With Loving You

On my way to pick Allie up from school today, Apple randomly decided to play the song “I Don’t Trust Myself With Loving You” by John Mayer. The tune instantly transported me back to the days when Allie was a little baby, maybe 2 or 3 months old. I played that song on repeat (on my AirPods) while I was feeding and/or rocking her. The lyrics don’t EXACTLY match what I was feeling but the title says it all. I was so unsure about what I was doing and so positive I was going to mess everything up. Both completely normal for new and experienced moms alike. But even more than that, I was terrified of the intensity of my love for my girl. I didn’t want to infect her with my darkness. To the point that the words “I don’t trust myself with loving you” gave me chills of certainty? Clarity? How could God trust me, ME to mother this precious baby girl?? I would belt that song out almost as a promise that I wasn’t going to get it right.

While I’m on the topic, here’s another huge doubt I had: Raising Allie in a city. I was certain there was no way I would be able to raise a kid in the city, because it’s so different from where I grew up. I don’t have an instruction manual for raising her here. I’m actually reflecting on this as I sit and watch my daughter do frog jumps and stick landings on a piggy pillow with a class of little gymnasts on South Pearl street in Denver. It was a challenge to get her to try something new. It took three classes before she would timidly participate. And now she kisses me goodbye (even though I’m sitting on a bench in the same room) and does almost every move except Hopscotch confidently. Mental note to work on that. 

Watching her at gymnastics engulfs me with a joy that is almost indescribable. From clingy and scared to super hero level confidence. It makes me happy at a soul level to watch her grow and thrive. Would this experience be any different in a small town vs. a big city? Who can say? As I sit in this sun filled room soaking up my daughter’s confidence, my pride in her is all that matters. And I somehow helped her get to this point, which I am equally surprised and amazed at. I am also sneaking these sentences on my Notes app while she prances around on the trampoline at the far side of the room, not needing my attention as much. I wanted to capture my thoughts and feelings in the moment, when the words came tumbling out. 


Sometimes growth is hard to see when we are in it. I’m so grateful for a song that can reflect growth so clearly when it suddenly pops up on “Laura’s Station”.

Thank you Apple for “knowing” me and the opportunity to see how far I’ve come. It might not always be like this. But for today, I will relish in the words my daughter told me from the back seat on our way to gymnastics. “Mama, I love you even when I’m sad or mad.” She learned that from me. I think I’m starting to trust myself.

Comments

Anonymous said…
💜

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado Craft Beer Week

Matt and I decided to join some of our favorite local breweries yesterday at a craft beer festival to help kick off Colorado Craft Beer Week. It's no secret that craft beer is a huge part of the Colorado economy. Everybody just does it so well out here. It was nice to go to a smaller festival than the Great American Beer Festival where there are too many breweries to even get to every booth. Yesterday's festival felt more like a back yard barbecue. I even got to meet the hosts of the Craft Beer Radio show on AM760. There is a picture of me with Turk and the "Gubna" below. In addition to some good beer sampling, our tickets also included a meal of either beer can chicken roasted for hours on the grill (my choice) or a spicy brat (Matt's choice). The chicken was amazing. I even let Matt try some. :) I also had some fun and took some pictures at the light rail. (We were responsible and walked/rode the train to and from the event.) What a fun day! Even better was c...

General Post

Yep, that's the most creative title I could come up with today. There really is no theme to this post so I guess it's fitting. I feel like I always talk about the same things anyway. I am in a major posting rut with new stuff to say. Anyway, here goes... I can’t believe it’s November already! The Christmas decorations are going up and it’s getting colder, yet I have not seen or heard any songs or commercials via TV/radio. Perhaps this is because I don’t watch nearly as much TV as I used to and I listen to talk radio almost all day. I read a lot at night for fun. I am going to miss that if/when I start school again. I still haven’t heard anything, but it’s only been 5 days since the application due date. I hope I can finish the Twilight series before then. I am on book 2 of 4 and can’t put them down! I’m sure many of you know what I am talking about. I am anxiously and selfishly awaiting the upcoming weekend. It’s going to be a Matt/Laura weekend unless we get any invitations fr...

June Recap in Photos

June was a busy month around here! I managed to snap a few photos here and there. That's better than I have been doing this month. *I apologize in advance for the spacing of the photos as captions here. Does anyone have any tips for better photo settings in Blogger?? At the very end of May, we drove to Manhattan for my brother's high school graduation. I can't believe he is a college student now!! He will be attending K-State this fall. I guess you could consider us a house divided, except for the fact that I am the only one in my immediate family who ventured out down the road to KU! :) The first weekend of June, Bill and Barbara came out for a visit on their way down to Santa Fe. We took them for a hike near Clear Creek. There has been so much snowfall and rain this year and Clear Creek was gushing water. I had never seen it moving so fast. My friend Liz has been bring out my inner artist. She discovered a place downtown called Sipping and Painting, where they literally w...