Skip to main content

A Space To Write

 Tonight I was thinking how much I miss writing. I write my thoughts in the Notes app on my phone. I write in my journal. But I miss “published” writing. Putting my thoughts out there in a very vulnerable way. 

Reading back on some of my past posts here, a part of me wants to cringe at the younger, carefree thoughts I would share here. And at the same time, I am so in awe of the younger version of myself that would post so freely. I love looking back and seeing growth. 

In the past six years since I last posted, I have become a mother. There isn’t one single post that could capture the range of emotional growth that has come with nurturing the intelligent, sensitive daughter whom God has entrusted to my care. Nor do I intend for this to become a “mom’s blog” which encapsulates advice that I do not feel equipped to give. For now, the mention of my daughter is simply to express the “lifequake” that happened in October of 2021. Lifequake is a term I found on the “She’s On Fire” Facebook page. They describe a lifequake as “a significant and unexpected shift in the trajectory of your life that initially feels [overwhelming] but has the beneficial outcome of catalyzing personal growth, transformation and rebirth."

 I couldn’t think of a better way to describe my own process of becoming a mother. I’m not ready to blog about those details yet. They are tender buds of growth that I am nurturing along side my beautiful three year old. Heck, it’s still even hard for me to even put the word “God” in a post. I’m still deconstructing what spirituality and religion are alongside motherhood after a long period of atheism. 

I will leave with this: a note I wrote late at night. Words that needed to come out of my head so I could sleep. They belong here now. I hope you all can find the gentle beauty in simple moments in the midst of this crazy, chaotic time.


A pessimistic view


How can we view humanity as a gift? When we live in bodies where any number of things are at risk of going wrong at any given moment. When a politician can yank away our health care, job, safety net at any given year. Based on the “will of the majority.” Or under the guise of “freedom.”

What kind of a loving god would send us into a life so fragile where everything we love, anything that offers us security could be taken away in one breath. What kind of senseless “gift” is it to be here, enduring the constant anxiety?


Gifts and beauty come as whispers. 


In the breeze that sweeps away the sweat at a Red Rocks concert.


To finally feel the tears break through along side the pain of something very young and primal. And welcoming every one of them. 


To hear my daughter sing along to our favorite songs from the back seat. To feel her brave arms twist around my neck during “last big goodbye” during morning drop offs at school. 


Goosebumps when my husband lightly rubs my back. 


A song whose deep lyrics were lost on me in college, but bring tears in the present. How close the knowledge was to me, but I couldn’t comprehend. 


Listening to the knowing in my gut/body. It will never steer me wrong. 


A beagle offering her body as a heating pad for my cramps.


Baring my soul to a therapist and having even the darkest parts met with warmth, kindness, understanding.


A book I can’t put down. A sentence from someone else’s mind that so perfectly describes a strand of my existence. 


Laughing so hard I cry. At my own thoughts and also almost every time I am with my brother.


Comments

Mhkansan said…
Hey Laura! That was beautiful to read. I've always admired and appreciated your wise older sibling words. I was just thinking the other day about the time we all got locked in a beer cooler in Sterling Kansas of all places, and smiled just thinking about it and the laughter that came afterwards! I've been going through quite a lot on my own, also adjusting to the lifequake that is fatherhood and simultaneously trying to juggle a million other responsibilities. Sometimes, I forget to breathe let alone laugh. The anxiety is real, and although I thought it never would happen to me, I am becoming more cynical as I get older. Your words tonight really help me remember to put things in perspective, appreciate the little things, and not just what the small stuff. And in the big picture it's all small stuff.

Thanks again for sharing you're beautiful words! I hope you keep publishing these notes!
Laura Millard said…
Thank you! I am glad we can share this parenting lifequake together. I often think about getting stuck in that beer cooler and how good it felt to just laugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado Craft Beer Week

Matt and I decided to join some of our favorite local breweries yesterday at a craft beer festival to help kick off Colorado Craft Beer Week. It's no secret that craft beer is a huge part of the Colorado economy. Everybody just does it so well out here. It was nice to go to a smaller festival than the Great American Beer Festival where there are too many breweries to even get to every booth. Yesterday's festival felt more like a back yard barbecue. I even got to meet the hosts of the Craft Beer Radio show on AM760. There is a picture of me with Turk and the "Gubna" below. In addition to some good beer sampling, our tickets also included a meal of either beer can chicken roasted for hours on the grill (my choice) or a spicy brat (Matt's choice). The chicken was amazing. I even let Matt try some. :) I also had some fun and took some pictures at the light rail. (We were responsible and walked/rode the train to and from the event.) What a fun day! Even better was c...

General Post

Yep, that's the most creative title I could come up with today. There really is no theme to this post so I guess it's fitting. I feel like I always talk about the same things anyway. I am in a major posting rut with new stuff to say. Anyway, here goes... I can’t believe it’s November already! The Christmas decorations are going up and it’s getting colder, yet I have not seen or heard any songs or commercials via TV/radio. Perhaps this is because I don’t watch nearly as much TV as I used to and I listen to talk radio almost all day. I read a lot at night for fun. I am going to miss that if/when I start school again. I still haven’t heard anything, but it’s only been 5 days since the application due date. I hope I can finish the Twilight series before then. I am on book 2 of 4 and can’t put them down! I’m sure many of you know what I am talking about. I am anxiously and selfishly awaiting the upcoming weekend. It’s going to be a Matt/Laura weekend unless we get any invitations fr...

June Recap in Photos

June was a busy month around here! I managed to snap a few photos here and there. That's better than I have been doing this month. *I apologize in advance for the spacing of the photos as captions here. Does anyone have any tips for better photo settings in Blogger?? At the very end of May, we drove to Manhattan for my brother's high school graduation. I can't believe he is a college student now!! He will be attending K-State this fall. I guess you could consider us a house divided, except for the fact that I am the only one in my immediate family who ventured out down the road to KU! :) The first weekend of June, Bill and Barbara came out for a visit on their way down to Santa Fe. We took them for a hike near Clear Creek. There has been so much snowfall and rain this year and Clear Creek was gushing water. I had never seen it moving so fast. My friend Liz has been bring out my inner artist. She discovered a place downtown called Sipping and Painting, where they literally w...